Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Harun Yahya - A Great Man and Muslim


This is a story of a great man. He is no ordinary man. He is, in fact a great muslim, one that all muslims should set as an example. His name is Adnan Oktar.

Who? (chuckles) Perhaps many does not know his real name for he usually writes under the pen name "Harun Yahya". That's right, this person is a writer. But isn't a writer an ordinary person, like many other "abundant" writers on this earth? The answer to that question is yes and no. Yes, Harun Yahya is an ordinary writer because he uses pen and paper, the same medium used by other writers. No, Harun Yahya is not your average joe writer because of what he chose to write. He chose to tell others about Allah, His messenger and the message itself (Al-Quran) through his books, articles, video cds, cassetes and whatever other media is available, even though various groups, such as atheists and Darwinists were every inch against him.

After reading his background at his website http://www.harunyahya.com/, I was awed, yet sad. Awed because of his unwavering determination to spread Islam in his own way even after he went through a series of confinements, courtesy of those who did not like the spreading of his ideas. Beginning 1986, at the age of 30, Harun Yahya faces a series of tests from the Almighty Allah. He spent 9 months in a one man cell. Later "he was chained to a foot of a bed in the Forensic Medical Department for 40 days. After that he was accused of being mentally unhealthy and therefore transferred to ward 14A, Barkikoy Mental Hospital. At this point, I find it hard to keep on reading. Mr Harun Yahya had to live together with 300 other mental patients in a ward which is filthy and poorly maintained and where murders are a norm. Seven murders occured during Mr Harun Yahya's "stay". In addition, he was forcibly given drugs, rendering him unconscious at times. 19 months was his time at the mental hospital. That's almost 1 and a 1/2 years. 1 and a 1/2 years in a filthy mental hosp with mental inmates.. and even that didn't deter him. In fact, I could say the ordeals he had further strengthened his will for after that his books preaching Islamic values came flowing from Turkey like a "waterfall" and he has been writing ever since.

This year, he will turn 52. I mentioned before that I was awed, yet sad. I am sad..because..I haven't done anything for Islam, for my "brothers" out there, and here in Malaysia as well. Of course, it is a bit far fetched when comparing yourself to a worldly known author. But, that doesn't mean I can't. Who am I to talk about doing something for the muslim community when I can't even manage my time well? I'll be turning 20 this year, and let's say I'll die at 54, then I'll only have 34 years left. What can a person do with a balance of 34 years? (Sigh) I wish I could something really..beneficial for my ummah. Even if it were small, I hope someday, I'll be able to do something for the sake of Islam. Well, not like Harun Yahya..that's too big a dream for me to chase. A person like him..surely he has sacrificed a lot to get to where he is now. I congratulate him on his latest, well, almost 3 years-ago-achievement-but-I -only -recently-know, THE ATLAS OF CREATION. As far as I know, it has provoked Europe of many responses, mostly positive. Well, at least I'll have someone to look up to, from the muslim community. Perhaps he'll never even read my blog(duh)(chuckle), but, I'd like him to know that he's got one great fan here, who'll support him all the way. And, maybe one day I'll do something like he does.kind of.

No comments: